History of The Foundation

Amon G. Carter and his wife, Nenetta Burton Carter, incorporated the Amon G. Carter Foundation in 1945. Initial funding of $8,511,712 occurred in 1947 following the sale of the Wasson Field oil interests. Mr. Carter contributed 60% of the initial corpus; Mrs. Carter contributed the remaining 40%.

Mr. Carter died in 1955, leaving the residue of his estate, then valued at $7,422,000, to the Foundation. In his will Mr. Carter provided for the creation of a museum so his art collection could be shared with the public.

Amon Carter Museum of American Art

In 1961 the¬†Amon Carter Museum of American Art¬†opened its doors in what is now the cultural district of Fort Worth. Mr. Carter’s collection of paintings and sculpture by Frederic Remington and Charles Russell is displayed along with significant works by other American artists. The Foundation’s Board of Directors dedicates a substantial portion of the annual grant budget to Museum operations, capital improvements, and additions to the permanent collection.

Texas Christian University

Texas Christian University was very important to Mr. Carter. The Foundation has assisted the University in several major projects including the James M. Moudy Building (1980), the Amon G. Carter Residence Hall (2007) and the renovation of Amon Carter Stadium (2012), as well as many program initiatives. The Foundation plays a significant role in most major local projects.

Many smaller grants

For every large gift there are scores of smaller grants. The Directors of the Foundation recognize that quality of life is improved through a variety of organizations and interests. Often modest financial support plus guidance and encouragement allow a fledgling organization to flourish or a small grant enables a community to begin a grass roots effort which touches many lives.

Mr. Carter’s vision and generosity continue to benefit his community. As of December 31, 2023 the Amon G. Carter Foundation had made charitable gifts totaling over $820,000,000.