History of The Foundation
Amon G. Carter and his wife, Nenetta Burton Carter, incorporated the Amon G. Carter Foundation in 1945. Initial funding of $8,511,712 occurred in 1947 following the sale of the Wasson Field oil interests. Mr. Carter contributed 60% of the initial corpus; Mrs. Carter contributed the remaining 40%.
Mr. Carter died in 1955, leaving the residue of his estate, then valued at $7,422,000, to the Foundation. In his will Mr. Carter provided for the creation of a museum so his art collection could be shared with the public.